There was a time this offseason, when it was unknown if the Green Bay Packers were going to keep Nick Perry.
Eventually, the Packers did, re-signing the 2012 first-round pick to a one-year, $5 million deal.
It seemed like a good move at the time, but now, after three games, it looks like a stroke of genius for the Packers.
Perry, who has taken over as the starter opposite Clay Matthews, has not only helped Green Bay be one of the NFL’s best run defenses early on — he’s also been the team’s best edge rusher.
Certainly, Matthews and Peppers have got after the quarterback well this season, this is no knock against them, it’s simply a recognition that after four years of waiting for him to be an impact player, the Packers’ wait is over.
During his first four seasons in the league, Perry never had more than four sacks. This season, he has 3.5 in three games, two yesterday against the Lions.
Part of Perry’s issue in the past has been health, so that will be worth watching, but if he can stay on the field, he should have a good chance at 10 sacks or maybe more.
Perry is pleased with his start, but as he told reporters Sunday following Green Bay’s win, he wants more.
“I’m off to a great start, but I’m humble about where I’m at and where I need to go,” Perry said. “Right now, the main focus is getting better, improving for the next week and playing my best ball yet.”
So far this season, the Packers couldn’t ask for more than they have gotten out of Perry.
Hopefully he hasn’t played so well that the Packers can’t afford to keep him after this season.
Although, at this point, I’m sure both sides will just be happy that he is finally realizing his potential.